6.17.2010

build a terrarium



seen: our new terrarium

They're all the talk, and here's why:

1. It's great fun to pick out the perfect vessel:  I bought mine at Terrain.  This and this are other dreamy resources but I opted for less expensive.
tip: Go big.  To do it right (I followed this tutorial), I found that I needed more room than I had thought.  And an extra large terrarium would make an extra great statement.

2. Succulents are cheap:  we shopped at our local Home Depot last night and had rows and rows of $1, $2, or $3 tiny succulents to choose from-- in a variety of sizes, shapes and colors.  Cole (4) helped me choose his favorites while Finn (1) pushed around the cart, squealing.

3. It's a quick project: after we put the kids in bed, I poured in the river rocks, scooped in the cactus soil, (skipped the charcoal), placed the plants and watered my new terrarium.  Terrarium built in less than 10 minutes.

4. It's green.  It's pretty.  It's creative.

Total project: about $50.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I LOVE it! Love the spice of coral/pink in it especially. I already have cactus soil. So that means I just need a vesel and river rocks?? Totally doing it. Where did you get the rocks?

Unknown said...

Missy, I had rocks that I bought a couple of years ago at Pottery Barn, but Home Depot sells a whole bag of them for like $3! (I saw them yesterday.)